Re: [RT] Spoo and Boo tracking

Your point on volume is well taken and a very important aspect. Curtis
Arnold in his book Pattern Probability System, measured profitability on
the h&s top at 52% and h&s bottom at 13.5%. This was based on
programming the patterns and running them against historical data. I've
found his criteria to be a bit more tightly defined than the E&M classic
and of course he provides statistical profitability measures which E&M
does not.

For both tops and bottoms, "the developmental period was restricted to
10-75 days." "Shoulders were required to achieve a height of between 25
percent and 50 percent of the height of the head" ... "the distance
between valleys was required to be nearly equal in keeping with
cyclicality considerations responsible for pattern formation." No
mention is made of volume. "The results of my research debunk the
popular myth that one of the best ways to make money is to wait for a
head and shoulders bottom and then buy or to wait for a head and
shoulders top and then sell. Either approach falls into the categories
known as bottom picking or top picking and should be avoided."

Although I have found Arnold's work credible and useful, particularly
with respect to wedges and triangles, I seem to remember that he was
directly or indirectly involved in some messiness regarding
profitability claims of his PPS software.

Earl