[RT] Re: Mechanical S&P Trading Systems

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Dennis Holverstott wrote:

> As an aside, I would encourage everyone to post systems as plain text
> rather than (or as well as) .ela files.

That is a **good** suggestion; much more than an aside.

> That will make it much easier
> for everyone to view the code and discuss it. Many people don't have
> Tradestation and others are unwilling to paste unknown code into their
> systems.

I've had some of my functions replaced with 'new' ones, and I am very
careful now - I *much* prefer the text.

> If we can all see the code, we can more easily get to the
> trading idea inside it and we can all learn something.

Perhaps the *author* could state the idea clearly, up front, and in some
detail. That way,

(1) it could spark a discussion of the *idea* without having to go through
the code first. This might, in fact, be more productive than a discussion
of the code details. (Note, for example, how the current discussion
quickly evolved into a discussion of the idea.)

(2) readers might be able to quickly decide the interest level before
going through the code.

(3) each reader would not have to wade through the code to try and
discover the idea for him/herself.

(4) astute readers might even be able to spot differences between the code
and the original idea - happens all the time, especially with complex
ideas.

(Just another 'aside' or two :-).

Larry