[RT] Re: Don't be sheep! {01}

Hello  Neal,

Tuesday, December 07, 1999, 11:09:42 AM, you wrote:

>>To  sum  up  the  claim of discretionary trading is just an excuse for
>>inadequate  programming or a feeble attempt to disguise a non existent
>>trading method.
>>  Mark Brown

NH> Hey guys,

NH> This is the funniest thing I've read in a loooong time!

NH> Almost  all  of  the  successful  traders  that  I  know  are  NOT
NH> mechanical traders, and they don't believe in mechanicaltrading.

That's  because they do not possess the skills it takes to program and
seldom  do programmers possess the skills to trade. Nothing wrong with
that just a fact.

NH>  Mechanical trading can work too, but some methodologies
NH> (discretionary) cannot be automated.

Actually  it has been thoroughly documented by independent researchers
at  contracted  by  some  of  the leading exchanges and one government
sponsored study that. In fact purely mechanical money managers are way
ahead  of  the  game  in  recent  years  when  compared to those money
managers who claim to be discretionary.

I  would  go  further  to argue that I have never seen a discretionary
trader who I could not (in time) capture totally in code.

NH> Just one example, very few mechanical systems take into account that
NH> Greenspan is about to make a speech so your indicators should not
NH> be trusted..

You  just  have  never  experienced  a  system that takes into account
Greenspan.  He  can  be  taken  into  account  by  not taking him into
account.  In  other  words, if that noise effects you trading then you
are obviously worried about something that is out of your control. You
can  not participate and expect to win another mans game. Your concept
of  reality is skewed by short term price movement that you would have
to be a pit trader to take advantage of.

We can prepare ourselves for disaster before disaster strikes. Example
if  we  were  long  bonds and Greenspan speaks causing the bonds to go
down.  We can attribute that to short term noise that will most likely
correct  itself  and  within  a day or so revisit the exact same price
levels  that  were  there  previous to the speech or report. How do we
know  this?  By  having  a  thorough  understanding  of statistics and
probabilities  given know historical occurrences. Exact? No but better
than  nothing  but  a  feeling  a  discretionary  trader would have me
belive.  Now as a mechanical system trader I must consider what if the
price  levels  are  not  revisited?  I must know that within a certain
period  of  time  over  price movement or momentum will override short
term   staying   commitment.  Meaning  that  "AGAIN"  with  statistical
knowledge  I  can  expect  a mechanical system to reverse its position
"admitting  that  it's  wrong"  and continue with original price spike
direction.

NH> I can think of zillions of such examples, which account
NH> for the mediocre performance record of most mechanical systems..

This  is  insinuating  that  professionals only give mediocre returns.
Rather  I would argue that in "FACT" those people who belive otherwise
are either non realist or vendors who would have you belive otherwise.

NH> Keep an open mind, don't be sheep. Beware Mark Brown or
NH> anyone who tries to shove black-and-white absolutes down
NH> your throat!

I agree 100 percent.

NH> No one can claim that they own the only truth..
NH> Think about it, what is going on here?

The  truth is free, in fact the value of the truth is directly inverse
to it's cost.

NH> Look around you, do you see sheep? Do you see a shepherd?

When  I  visit  your  web site and see your apparent association with a
vendor  of  who  I  know  of  (but  have  no opinion of (yet)) I fully
understand  where your coming from. It's a shame that you do not have
hat same understanding.

NH> Hmmmm?

YEA! HMMMM?

--