From: Mark Brown <markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 12:15 PM
Subject: [RT] The Bright Side {01}

:Hello realtraders,
:
:Ok  enough  doom  and gloom ! My personal belief is that if you are of
:the  correct  psychological makeup, work hard enough and are honest to
:yourself and others you can make it in the trading business "IF".
:
:You  find someone who you can mentor under and some of their pieces of
:the puzzle fit with what your trading style ultimately winds up being.
:I think of a cabinet maker who works in the successful family business
:only  knowing  to  do  things  the way his family taught him. He would
:profit  much  more  if he had apprenticed at other cabinet shops which
:were equally as successful as his own family's cabinet shop. Gathering
:up  knowledge  from  an  outside world and bringing back home some few
:tricks  which  help  help  his  own  family's  business in quality and
:production.
:
:My  advice  has  always  been to find someone who is honestly making a
:living  trading  and  work  for  them,  hang  out or whatever. If that
:involves  being  a  broker in the business fine, a researcher fine. Do
:whatever it takes to sacrifice on your part to learn the business with
:a  long term commitment and not a short term lust for money. Learn the
:business and the money will come if you have the passion for it.
:
:Am  I  saying move to Chicago? No, you don't have to. Why? Because I'll
:bet  somewhere  close to you there is a trader plugging along making a
:living. He will most likely be the guy at some local user group who is
:quite  and sets about three quarters towards the back of the room. I'm
:not making all this up I have studied it for years. He will be the guy
:who  ask questions that other people including maybe the speaker. Also
:the  question  will be more risk related and not profit related. Other
:signs are that he will not be taking notes "WHY?" because he has heard
:it  all  before  and  could  probably  recite the speakers method from
:memory.
:
:He  has  seldom  seen  any  new  twist  on the same old ideas. He will
:readily  break down the method into several predefined categories such
:as  fundamental  or  technical  first. Then he will further narrow the
:categorization down to the same old basic kill file of topics which he
:has  studied for years but made no money with. He will try and keep an
:open  mind  though searching and looking for that one small edge which
:may improve his own trading method.
:
:After  the meetings when in a crowd he will most likely be the guy who
:will  readily  talk  on  any  subject  but not actually offer and real
:example  of  his  own trading unless he really knows you well. It's at
:this  stage  when you may gain some hope that you have found the right
:person  who  you  may  contribute  to  your  progression at becoming a
:trader.
:
:Look long, look hard - question everything! assume nothing!
:
:Mark
:
:--