[RT] Re: Re: Orchestrated Marketing Scheme {06}

In a message dated 12/06/1999 8:39:21 PM Central Standard Time,
markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I  claim  that  all  successful  trading  methods  that have reasonable
 history  of  consistent  profits  can  have their roots traced back to
 sound mathematical principles.

 In  other  words  a discretionary trader does not exist, if he shows a
 consistency for making profits. Why? because he actually is using some
 reproducible  mathematical  sequence  that  he  just  hasn't  had  the
 privilege of defining in mathematical definitions. Thus by observation
 of  others  and to himself he appears to be a discretionary trader but
 in fact he is not.

 To  sum  up  the  claim of discretionary trading is just an excuse for
 inadequate  programming or a feeble attempt to disguise a non existent
 trading method.

****** Some pit traders program their brain by watching human behavior on the
trading floor rather than programming pure numbers into a number crunching
computer program.  They may have simple rules for a trading system they can
execute without a computer.  But the filters they use are situational,
qualitative and quantitative.  I would classify these traders as
discretionary.  Certainly they are using their experience to classify certain
behavior, which could be broken down to statistical situations and tabulated.
 In that sense you are right about stastistical basis for decision making.
But their computer is their brain and that is why I call them discretionary
traders.

Regards,

John J. Lothian

Disclosure: Futures trading involves financial risk, lots of it!