Tax questions

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Tax questions
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:49:34 -0500 (EST)

It's getting close to time to deal with that annual bugaboo:
the taxman.

Having read through some posts from last year, my understanding is:

  * There is a special tax classification called "trader."
  * "Traders" get some nice benefits in filing -- e.g. I think
    only traders can write off all expenses of trading such as
    data feeds, software, etc?
  * To qualify for "trader" status, you must derive basically 100%
    of your income from trading activities.  No part-time jobs
    or other outside income sources.
  * Even if you qualify for "trader" status, there are some
    disadvantages to filing as a trader, and you might not want to.
    (I don't understand why not.)

Does that sound correct so far?

Assuming I'm not going to try for trader status, how should I report
my taxes?  Do I have to construct a trade-by-trade history of my
entire year?  Or can I just use the beginning/ending balances of all
accounts, automatically figuring in commissions/fees?  What about
expenses like software, data, etc?  What are good legal writeoffs for
a non-"trader" trader?  What forms should I use?  Any other useful
info?

Thanks,
Gary