Re: Stocks vs Commodities

Hi Richard,

: To me, stocks are very different than futures...and I play a role in
both.

That is my point too.
:
: In futures, I am a 'speculator.' I am paid to take risks. I assume the
: risks commercials wish to lay off and to assume the other side of another
: speculator's speculations. Gambling? Maybe, but I view it as more
: intelligent because I can see the cards BEFORE I place my bet or not.
:
Same here.  What I was saaying is that futures and options attract more
gambling types.

: As a stockholder, I am an 'investor.' I am a part owner in a company -- a
: company where I hope that part ownership will be of benefit to me for
many
: years to come. I realize others speculate in stocks, but I do not. I pick
: companies with a bright future and then wait -- sometimes for a very long
: time. I rarely get out of a stock investment, but I'll be out a futures
: speculation in 10 minutes if it is going the wrong way.

Very similar to my style, but I have some good friends who trade stocks
privately for a lot of their living.  Some years are better than others for
them beacuse of the bias of the market.
:
: I realize this all semantics, but it's just my point of view.

This mirrors my opinion.

: By the way 100% of all put options expire worthless. If they were worth
: anything they would not expire now would they?

All options expire on Expiration date. Some will have value some not. 90%
of options are not exercised by expiry (or even "have no value on expiry")
may be a better way to put it.

Regards
David Hunt
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~adest