Re: Stocks vs Commodities

>Hey Mr Murray,
>
>This is an interesting question.  Look at some rough rules of thumb that
>some brokers may confirm:
>
>90% of Futures Traders Lose in the long run - 10% Break even or win
>
>60-70% of Share Traders Make Money in the Long run
>
>90% of all Put Options expire worthless.
>
>The percentage is less for calls but probably around 60%.

 etc.

To me, stocks are very different than futures...and I play a role in both.

In futures, I am a 'speculator.' I am paid to take risks. I assume the
risks commercials wish to lay off and to assume the other side of another
speculator's speculations. Gambling? Maybe, but I view it as more
intelligent because I can see the cards BEFORE I place my bet or not.

As a stockholder, I am an 'investor.' I am a part owner in a company -- a
company where I hope that part ownership will be of benefit to me for many
years to come. I realize others speculate in stocks, but I do not. I pick
companies with a bright future and then wait -- sometimes for a very long
time. I rarely get out of a stock investment, but I'll be out a futures
speculation in 10 minutes if it is going the wrong way.

I realize this all semantics, but it's just my point of view.

By the way 100% of all put options expire worthless. If they were worth
anything they would not expire now would they?

Richard Bloch