Re: Series 3 Sponsorship

GLAURUNGA wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Here's a question from a private trader who knows charts and such but is
> totally
> oblivious to the ins and outs of obtaining a Series 3 license, getting
> employment as a trader/CTA etc...
>
> My question is does one need sponsorship from a firm/company or some type of
> entity to take the Series 3 exam?

NW: Yes.

 Can one just contact the NASD and schedule an exam date? Once I have
passed the exam, then what? Is there a decent chance
> of finding employment at a firm?

NW: Not unless you can either show a minimum 3 year real time winning
trading track record or have a history as a good salesman.

 (I live in NYC so am right here in the thick
> of things, so to speak).

NW: That won't help as much as you may think. The Wall Street crowd
looks
down at futures and treats the people in futures like second class
citizens. If you want the geographical advantage, Chicago is the real
trading capital of the world.

 I'm no spring chicken, will be 40 yrs old next July,
> but love the markets so much I want to make a mid-life career change.

NW: Loving the markets has nothing to do with working for a firm. If you
like to trade and have an exceptional talent or skill perhaps
with at least $100K in trading capital, trade for you own account,  you
can average 50% per year or $50K (not much of a living in NYC). If you
can't do better than that, you will have to figure out a way to
supplement your trading income.

> Any answers will be appreciated. You can both post to group or me personally,
> I'm sure I'm not the only guy in this forum who wants to be involved in the
> markets full
> time, but doesn't know where to start.
>
> Pete

Realistically,