Re: Fibonacci, why it works.

I have a book called _Using the Whole Brain_,  edited by Ronald Russell.
There is a chapter in it called "Transcendence: The Spirit on High", which
is written by Edgar Wilson, M.D.

Dr. Wilson tells of his experience researching consciousness and the brain.
He's done a lot of work with brain waves and their relationship to
transcendental experiences.

He speaks of going to the Monroe Institute (a place in the Virginia
mountains where a great deal of this type of research goes on):

"When I arrived at The Monroe Institute I knew little about it.  I was aware
only that this was one of the few organizations which had established some
kind of laboratory to study consciousness--that's what I'd been trying to do
for several years--and it was one of the few labs actively doing anything in
this area of research.  Most of the university labs had shut down
because...  <SNIP>  ...  Listeners (the Monroe Institute uses sound as a
pathway to altered states of consciousnees) were obvously having some kind
of transcendent experience and were describing very similar experiences, but
I could see no evidence of it--only a normal EEG parameter.  I decided to
give up my expectancies and simply to watch to see what happened.  This I
did, and lo!--some fascinating things began to unfold.

As I observed, I found that that putting in a signal was having some kind of
effect in the brain.  When we matched up the frequency bands across the
head, they would come in bursts until suddenly everything got together and
the person would start having a state change.  They would begin with really
low frequencies, like low delta, folowed by an escalation of frequency in a
certain harmonic pattern.  I tried to match this pattern with harmonics like
octaves, but it didn't match.  However, the harmonic was a Fibonacci series,
a series dreived from Pythagoras, who made his reality a kind of progress of
a series of numbers which for him represented something very spiritual.  We
see the Fibonacci series reproduced in plants' branching and in DNA and
RNA.  We see it as it progresses in the nervous systesm, the dendrites and
neurons branching and unfolding from the deeper structures to the outer
structures.  The Fibonacci series is all over nature--why couldn't it be in
the brain?"

I sincerely doubt that this Dr. Wilson knows anything about what goes on
down on the floor of the Chicago Merc.  But I bet it wouldn't surprise him
to hear about how traders like to watch Fib numbers...  :)

Chris