Re: SYS: Soybean Mechanical Trading System Idea

Michael E. Strupp wrote:

>As a true trading systems nerd, I've been spending my hours tooling
>around with the QuickEditor on SuperCharts v4.0 with some end-of-data on
>CBOT Soybeans from Pinnacle Data.  I've been playing with some very
>simple patterns, and emerged with some interesting results.  This quick
>message is to share those results and invite any and all traders who
>have some ideas on how to improve this system to share it with me and
>the rest of the traders here.
>
>Again, this is a short-term system. Sell signals are the opposite of buy
>signals. All orders are to BUY at the market opening (I know, not always
>a lot of fun) and usually close out the day with a profit or hold on one
>day for a profit.  Here is the system:
>
>TO BUY SOYBEANS TOMORROW ON THE OPENING:
>
>* Today's close has to be less than its open
>* Yesterday's close has to be higher than yesterday's open
>* The close two days ago had to be higher than the open two day's ago
>* Today's close has to be the lowest close in the last nine days
>
>In EasyLanguage, these criteria to buy at the market are:
>
>Close < Open and C[1] > O[1] AND C[2] > O[2] AND C > Lowest(Close,9)[1]
>
>TO EXIT POSITION AT TODAY'S CLOSE:
>
>* Today's close must be higher than today's open
>* The position is one day old and we close below today's open
>
>In EasyLanguage, these criteria to sell at the market close are:
>
>(BarsSinceEntry(0) > 0 AND C < O) OR C > O
>
>Again, the sell signals are the exact reverse of the buy signals.  I
>have attached an .ela file of the system for those people out there with
>SuperCharts v4.0 or TradeStation 4.0 to tool around with.

<snip>

You code doesn't appear to do what you say it should do.

It would appear that your code:

   Close < Open and C[1] > O[1] AND C[2] > O[2] AND C > Lowest(Close,9)[1]

should be:

   Close < Open and C[1] > O[1] AND C[2] > O[2] AND C < Lowest(Close,9)[1]

for the following to be true:

   "Today's close has to be the lowest close in the last nine days."

Similarly for sells.

The ELA file was as you posted the first text so it would appear that the
results were per the ELA file, not the descriptive statement above.

Bob Fulks

--
Bob Fulks
bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxx