Re: PSYCH: Failed Trader

Nicholas Pishvanov wrote:

>         This is a story about the failure of  an inexperienced commodity futures
> trader.  Perhaps it is not really a failure.  It may be that the subject
> recognized his limitations, and decided to stop trading.  With more study
> and reflection he may pick up the pieces, change his strategy and come back
> as a successful trader.   Some time ago, The Washington Post carried a
> story about a carpenter in Long Island who decided to lock himself up in a
> room with his computer and get rich.  I wondered how he did, and a
> follow-up story in the Aug 24 WashPost "Putting Futures in the Past"
> describes the outcome.
>         I believe the outcome of his trading would have been far more successful
> had he been exposed to the commentary, advice and shared experience of our
> RealTrader's group.  A side-issue is the problem of blindly relying on a
> "cookbook trading system sold by a commodity investment advisor".
>         The moral of the story:  Some of our more experienced traders are very
> generous with some very good advice.  New or inexperienced traders, take heed.
> Nick Pishvanov

NW: What I found both interesting and disgusting about this article
is that is the the usual media propaganda that the Wall St. establisment
wants the public to believe. Why doesn't the SEC issue warnings about
the volatility and risks of owning stocks? I have seen many stocks
lose half or more of their value in one day. Why doesn't the SEC warn
investors about gambling with stocks on margin? Why doen't the SEC warn
investos that 90% of all IPO innvetments are losers after the first 3
months? No one forces futures traders to be highly margined just as no
one does this to stock traders. So why is the media alway painting such
a bleak picture, i.e. "gambling" in futures?  Statistically studies have
shown that overall commodities tend to be less volatile than most
stocks. So, most of the assumptions apparent in the article below are
wrong. With all due respect to Nick, this article is full of the usual
media propaganda crap which is highly slanted against commmodities. I
wonder if there ever really was such a carpeter or this was a fictional
story made up to brain wash the masses. Whatever the case, it is
financial journalism at its very worse.

Disgustedly,

Norman