Fut: Indexes

I have been investigating trading futures indexes like the S&P 500,   Value
Line etc.
Right now I only have data for the cash indexes.   My question is:  I have
tested systems that run well against the cash indexes,  but I am wondering if
this will be true when tested against the actual futures index?    Any
comments on the differences between how the cash and futures indexes behave?
    I plan on checking this myself,   but I will have to get a new data
service.

Also,   any comments on starting with the Minivalue Line index vs. the SnP?
   Value Line seems to be less choppy.

Thanks    Paul