Re: GEN: IQ and trading (Murray Math thread)

Tom and RT:

Tom's BIG SECRET should definately be added to the list. When I first
started out I had no point of reference. As a result, I looked around
to try and figure out what everyone was doing. I read every conceivable
book. I programmed things in Tradestation. I bought Option Vue. I took
training from several teachers, two of whom are pretty well known.
One of them said that "I could teach you everything I know, even give
away every 'secret' I have, and you *still* would do it your own way."
He was dead nuts on.

If you ask me what is my trading style, I would have to say it's a composite
of everything I've learned from all these sources. Some sources showed me
what I want to do. I emulate it. Others show me what I don't want to do.
I do something else. I've *had* to find my *own* way. You must be true to
yourself in life, and trading is no exception.

In the martial arts there is a concept and it says that "all paths lead to
the top." Most serious martial artists acknowledge that while there are
big differences in style between the various kinds of martial arts (e.g.
kung fu, karate, ju jitsu, grappling) in the end, taken to their logical
and top level conclusions all lead to the same place: great fighters.
In trading, I don't think it matters if you're a tape reader, a Gann or
Elliot, Fibonacci, lunar cycle, stochastic, or other method of trader.
If you master your style you will be in the same place we all want to be:
Mastery of your art. That's my personal goal.

This may seem to be a strange idea, but I'd recommend anyone in trading
get a hold of and watch the Ultimate Fighting Champioinships starting with
the first one through about number 6 or 8. Watch how the different styles
and abilities interact. Look beyond the fun and the hype, as amusing as it
may be. (I finally figured out where that line "Let's get ready to rumble"
came from!) Think of what each fighter is trying to accomplish and how
they approach it. It's not what you would expect.

PS: Sorry I forgot to sign the last article I posted.
This is Phil from Cupertino CA.