Re: FUTR GEN: SMILING SPIDERS

I'm not a spider but...

My take on this was yesterday the VIX was at an extreme low with price
at an extreme high. Not quite a Connors VIX Reversal (a la Larry Connors
of Oceanview Fin'l) but the VIX did hit the 21 period 2 sigma lower bband
and reverse, creating an "almost-Connors-VIX-reversal" so the concept
was in place. Add to that the market having been in three successive up
closes followed yesterday by an early high and the stage was set for a
reversal day.

Intraday, there was a 123 high followed by a hook which was very readable
on the OEX cash 30 miute chart.

So at about 1230ET I bought OEX Sep 920P for 16 1/8 to go short, expecting
the day to make a reversal with some followthrough the next morning, or
today.

When all hell broke loose in the afternoon and the market went down fast
I took off part of the position at 19 and decided to see what the close
was like before exiting or holding overnight. The close being very weak
and having taken some of the position off already, I decided to hold.

Figuring on a punch down in the morning followed by a retreat, I set in
a limit order to sell the rest of the position at 21 or better for the
next day (today, Friday). When I got to the screen in the morning and saw
the spooz off about 10 I couldn't believe it. That must have been a data
error, but it wasn't. They were screaming doom and gloom on CNBC. "I don't
want to make things sound worse than they are but when the rest of the Dow
stocks open we're going to go down much more than we are right now" said
the announcer.

I quickly cancelled the order to sell and decided to run it manually.
Just after the open, it saw it go to 25 bid 27 for a brief minute or
so and then retreat. CNBC was saying how bad it was. I figured it was
time to leave so I got out, filled on the pullback at 23 3/4 as it was
23 3/4 bid 25 by that time.

As far as I can tell, this is a classic case of the Connors VIX reversal.
Market reaches a top, people are complacent, resting in the "spider web"
as you put it. Then all of a sudden, the bears (spiders) pop out of the
woodwork and you have a short trade.

Happy hunting...Trader Phil in Cupertino CA