Long term trend following? Short term hit and run?

I am quite new to realtraders and don't know whether there has been any
such discussion before. It seems to me that trend following method, be
it long term or short term, is definitely superior than short term hit
and run strategies. If I am not mistaken, most if not all top ten CTAs
uses some kind of trend following methods (and the notorious Turtle). If
we look at the most recent issue of future magazine, they have a list of
the top ten trading system and most of them are trend following too.

There are basically two categories of trading edge. Low accuracy but
large profit, or high accuracy but small profit. The first is the
characteristic of long term trend following method, while the second one
is basically short term hit and run.

If trading edge can be achieved both ways, why does long term trend
following generally outperform short term hit and run?

CheeVid