Re: GEN: BMI Symbols - S&P Prem? Bonds?

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: GEN: BMI Symbols - S&P Prem? Bonds?
  • From: 5150@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:58:41 -0700 (PDT)

Troy Kelley wrote:

> Traders..
>
> Can someone tell me what the BMI symbol @PREM is? The manual says it is
> the S&P premium. Is this the difference between the cash and the futures
> prices? Could this help me in S&P Options prices since I don't currently
> get real-time options prices, and bmi doesn't offer delayed options
> prices?

You are corrrect. @PREM = SP - SPX where SP is the front month and SPX is
the cash. On a delayed BMI feed, you can synthesize a realtime SP by adding
SPX and @PREM, giving you a quite close approximation. When the front month
goes off the boards, you will notice @PREM takes a big jump up.

As for trading something using it, I prefer the real thing. Your cost
relative to your risk makes buying the data worth it. And you need the options
prices, which you can't synthesize. Then again, if you're well heeled and have
a big account, you can trade anything end of day and forget any realtime charting
all together. For spooz, this means a lot of money and risk.