Re: (teaching discretionary systems) Re: Protecting intellectual property

  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • From: Alex Matulich <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: (teaching discretionary systems) Re: Protecting intellectual property

John:

>What about someone like myself who has a good discretionary trading
>system, may want to teach it later when they get too old to trade
>(rather than just teaching my daughter), has lots of PNG picture
>files on market observations and rules of their system, and are
>thinking of allowing access to these with support using a password
>to protect them (in other words only those with the password can
>get them on their screen over the web). I am thinking that the
>interactive brokers password device could be used to block password
>capture viruses and I doubt this can be cracked. However I am
>thinking that the png pictures could probably be captured in memory
>via software even though standard picture save is blocked by the
>html language.

NOBODY has ever prevented me from saving any content that appears
in my browser, whether it's pictures or videos.  The picture can
be found in my browser cache, or I can examine the HTML code to
figure out how to access the picture directly. Or I can use a
screen-capture program.

Also, schemes to disable right-clicking are browser-specific and
fail to work if the user has javascript disabled, or uses a browser
like Opera. And you can't restrict browsers either - Opera, for
example, can send an Internet Explorer identity string.

One friend who teaches his methods requires strict nondisclosure
agreements from his clients.  He told me about one client who
violated it - and who now has part of his paycheck docked for the
rest of his LIFE by court order. There are ays to protect your
intellectual property if you teach it to others.

>Other than this, approach a publisher and actually get those PNGs
>in a book somehow but that is a lot more work and a lot more costly
>I figure.

Books can be copied too.  However, there are trading book publishers
that will not only publish your work but market it for you too.
Traders Press and Windsor Books come to mind.  From what I've
seen, it looks like they expect the author to lay out each page in
Microsoft Word and they publish it directly from that.

-Alex