FYI: [MrEasyLanguage] Buh-bye AVG

  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:35:08 -0500
  • From: "Samuel K. Tennis" <sktennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FYI: [MrEasyLanguage] Buh-bye AVG

Just trying to keep the information flowing...

>> That said, I suspect the culprit is a new
>>option in AVG that you must remove.  This monstrosity is called
>>"Link Scanner".  You must uncheck this and all sub options under it
>>during install.

I am not so sure you should uninstall this option.

It is basicaly a "first posibility of infection" protection. In the old days viruses, trojans, bots etc. (from now on all referred to as virusses) only entered your system by you, the user, running some infected software on your own computer and with that, infection your own computer.

Virusses however have evolved. Many viruses are now embedded into web pages that you visit. Visiting an invected website will infect your system. What also happens nowdays is popups containing virusses. They are so smart that if you click the X in the top right corner (close the popup) that that will actualy start the infection.

Many infections also are not noticed in the beginning. Virusses that harm your system are not the most important infections (maybe number wise they are, but there are more dangerous infections) Being infected by a bot belonging to a bot network is very popular nowdays. You will not notice it but software is secretly running on your computer doing all kinds of things you don't want it to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

So doing a link scan is not all that bad to do. Sure, it will free up some recourses if you disable it but I am not so sure if this advantage weights up against the possible disadvantage.....

Greetings,

Henri A.

Who thinks he is a novice in computers since he has been seriously working with computers since 1989 has several subscriptions to computer magazines but in the last 5 years has been invected twice even though I had virus scanners running.