From: DH [mailto:catapult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:37 PM
To: omega List
Subject: Re: Recreating the back adjusted vistorical number

> So why is the
> sum of the carry adjustments so much greater than I get when allowing for
> t-bills-dividends .. this shouldn't be complicated

For one thing, you're using average t-bills and interest x days
remaining over the whole period. But the adjustment only happens once
every 3 months. So it's not the average carry for the length of the
contract, which slowly decreases to zero, it's the 3-months-ahead carry
applied all at once.

To do it right, use the individual contracts and calculate the carry
from the premium (futures - cash) at the beginning of the contract.

--
   Dennis