Re: Protecting intellectual property

Mark Johnson wrote:
>How did they make it difficult / impossible to
>reverse engineer their designs?
>http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/potting-compound

Except that these days, even college students are able to de-cap an
IC chip and analyze the circuitry.

>Just to name one counterexample (I bet YOU can think
>of lots more), you  _could_ implement your hardware
>doodad using an Altera MAX-3000 CPLD device.
>(data sheet: http://www.altera.com/literature/ds/m3000a.pdf  )

Hmm. That looks something I could pursue.

I started this thread asking about protection schemes for a
proprietary algorithm in the context of trading. The trading
strategy, however, is simply a way to finance what we really want
to do: use this algorithm in hardware devices to analyze other
stochastic time series data for real-world applications such as
medical monitoring devices.  For that we need some sort of DSP
with the algorithm embedded in it, but the algorithm needs to be
un-extractable from the chip.

Thanks for the pointer.

-Alex