Re: MultiCharts

Yes. A stand alone would be great. The problem is it would probably have to work with many different software packages and as you said, the cost would have to be reasonable. Because if the cost is too high, most would just stick with what they got and know. I think software companies should have something like this as a low cost add on that one can buy if they need it? Like if one has tradestation codes and knows how to do codes for tradestation, but he wants to also use amibroker, metastock, or any of the many other software packages available. There should be an add on for those package that he could buy that will let him use the codes he has with their software? Probably not easy or practical? That is the only reason I have stuck with TradeStation so far. And even if I did try others they would be ones were the codes i have will work with there software. I believe there are about 4 other software packages that can use TradeStation codes.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Matulich" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: MultiCharts

>MultiCharts can read an import your EL code and can send your orders
to a number of different vendors.

In addition MC is about 20-30% faster in backtesting then TS2000i and
has portfolio capabilities.

Jimmy answered:
It is an easy transition to it from TS2ki also.  I was trading in five
hours after I went to their site.

Therein lies the dilemma. I'm primarily a strategy tester and
developer of indicators.  For those purposes, and for manual EOD
trading, NinjaTrader is a powerful, full-featured package that is
also FREE, and seems well-supported.

I need to decide if retaining EasyLanguage compatibility is really
worth the $1500 cost of MultiCharts, given that I'm unlikely to
use many of its features.  EasyLanguage does have some severe
limitations for a programmer, and I have no idea if MultiCharts
PowerLanguage has the smae problems (procedural, not object
oriented, no variable types, no data structures except 'array',
arbitrary barriers between code module types that prevent doing
graphics in signals and indicators from returning values, and so
on).

Or I can bite the bullet and try to overcome the learning curve hump
of NinjaTrader.

For me, a NinjaTrader translator would be a useful teaching aid for
NinjaScript, but I can't imagine a development cycle where I write
something in EasyLanguage, translate it, and then test/debug in
NinjaScript.  It's useful at first, for learning, but eventually I'd
want to develop stuff in NinjaScript.

Joel's web-based translator is a good idea for such teaching.  I
have public domain code I could feed it - but last time I tried it
wouldn't accept user functions.  I think it expected signals only.
I have some proprietary code separated into modules that would be
incomprehensible without the comments, so a web-based thing could be
useful for that too.

If Joel is making a stand-alone translator, what would be the
expected cost?  I could see myself spending $100 for such a thing,
but if it gets to be near the cost for a 1-year MultiCharts license,
I may as well just buy MultiCharts.

I'd sure love to see an open-source trading platform project.  There
are traders who are savvy coders, and such a product could really be
powerful.

-Alex