How many basic trading approaches exist?

Gary Fritz suggests there are only a small number
of general classes of mechanical trading systems.
He names three (full quote @ bottom)
  1. Trend Following
  2. Counter Trend / Mean Reversion
  3. Volatility Trading

In reply, I would like to suggest there are only
TWO general categories of trading, each of which
has several slightly different manifestations.
The manifestations can be implemented using
human discretion, or fully mechanical algorithms,
as the trader sees fit.  I will call these two
general categories "D" and "ND":

 D:  Betting on what WILL happen (directional trading)
 ND: Betting on what will NOT happen (non directional trading)

Manifestations of these include:

D.1: Trend Following

D.2: Trend Fading / Countertrend
     D.2.1: Support and Resistance
     D.2.2: Overbought, Oversold

D.3: Trend Predicting
     D.3.1: Cycles
     D.3.2: Intermarket Analysis
     D.3.3: Chart Patterns, candlesticks, etc.
     D.3.4: Elliott Wave

ND.1: Selling Option Premium
ND.2: Noise Trading

I am sure there are more individual manifestations
of directional trading, and of non-directional trading,
than the nine I have mentioned here.

Best wishes,
Mark Johnson