Re: Position trading 100+ futures markets times 8 systems

Mark, great post.

Looking at your questions - surely you analyse your portfolio
as a single system and apply whatever money management that suits? The
problem I found for a 10 cross fx portfolio was accurately working out
the Max Intraday DD across the portfolio as using daily bars you just get
a Max IDD but it doesn't say what time of day - the worst case scenario of
adding up all Max IDD on any given day has proved wildly inaccurate. Max IDD's
have been about a quarter of the worst case we provided for (so far).
The smoother ride you mentioned works a treat.

As regards managing your 100 system/contract portfolio, provided TS
carry the data why not put it on TS and have it autotraded? -  If the data
is available but the contracts to trade (like european stock index/bond)
in auto then you could hook up one of the linking products between TS and IB
or another broker.  Using a dll and excel you can keep track of your
total positions for all markets - it is a pain to do for fx as
the lot size is not yet configurable in TS but futures should be easier.
There's also a cheap and cheerful Portfolio management product from TS Support
which can also do analysis and run RT or the expensive Rina who have
or are bringing out a new product to update PortfolioStream.

As regards always being in the hottest markets. Surely its more important
to be on the right side of a market whether its hot or cold?

--
Best regards,
 Michael                            michaelstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx