To: "RB" <rhodes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Omega List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Last rant on Schwab

I'd suggest you go back and read earlier mail to get a better handle on the subject, because the answer to both your question 1 and 2, is both.

Money you haven't committed to purchases and the results of security sales is generally swept into a money fund, usually on a daily basis. Often the broker will specify which sponsored fund is to be used for that purpose, and some permit more than one fund to be chosen for that purpose. Some will also require (If they also own a bank, and Schwab does.) that the bank option is the only vehicle available for sweep cash.

The bank option, when required, is usually disadvantageous, compared to a treasury money fund because of the substantially lower rate of return, which is equally secure. In effect you are making a below market rate of return investment to the banks advantage.

Additionally, most brokerages will have other non sweep money funds available, with different potential rates of both risk and returns, which can be purchased via direct purchase just as with any other security. Schwab has a number of those, some of which are restricted to treasury or government securities, and some of which are not.

Some of these funds are the ones which are now being closed to accounts which are not already invested in those funds.

Richard

RB wrote:
I missed the early part.
1.  Are you talking about the excess money in the customers accounts?

2. Or are you saying, (which is hard to believe). That as a customer of Svhwab, one can't buy or put money in a money market fund?

If it is number 1. I agree with it and most brokerages are now or in the future will be doing that. Because of the insurance.
I have already told my brokerage, I want mine in a bank.

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Funkhousers" <funkhouser@xxxxxxxx>