Re: Disappearing money funds -- Schwab

A reply to my original message attempted to place the responsibility for Schwab's closing of their government money funds on the fact that Schwab now owns a bank. They do, but that scenario is a totally different, but equally sordid, story.

My original note related to one thing only, the closing of their government securities money funds, and has absolutely no relevance to sweep funds which are generally used to temporarily invest free cash balances.

Like many others brokerages they have always had a series of money funds, many of which have higher risk profiles in order to offer enhanced rates of returns beyond those of governments.

Given the credit crunch, those higher risk profiles have become, for many investors, more risk than they are willing to expose themselves to, and they have therefore decided to opt for quality rather than rate -- and that means government or treasury securities.

For those of us who have been around long enough to have gone through the last big credit crunch we can recall when money funds were only able to maintain their $1.00 constant value by having their sponsors buy depressed value securities from the fund at their original purchase values. Given the current credit environment there is now a much greater possible exposure to possible money funds losses on some of their holdings, especially commercial paper, where the markets are at best slow, and in some cases totally illiquid.

By closing the governments and treasury funds their customers have no ability to opt for safety, and I don't blame anyone who would make such a choice. To do otherwise is to rely on Schwab's willingness and generosity to make fund investors whole as some, but not all, did the last time money fund holdings suffered losses.

The sweep situation at Schwab is a totally different story, but equally sordid.

Not too long ago you were able to choose one of their money funds to invest free cash balances that were not currently needed for direct investments. Now your only choice is a bank money fund (with the Schwab Bank of course) which pays bank money fund rates -- rates which are substantially below that of regular money funds -- and then they, in addition, charge you 50 basis points for sweeping.

What a great way to assure the bank of a great source of the cheapest money available while still earning the equivalent of a substantial "management" fee that they previously got at the fund level. They haven't been able to do that on qualified retirement fund accounts for that would be a violation of ERISA's self dealing prohibitions. Nice deal eh? What in one case is prohibited as undesirable and illegal applies everywhere else.

If you bitch hard enough and let them know you understand they have been known to make changes, but if they now have quality problems in some of the money fund portfolios that may not be possible.

The Funkhousers wrote:

In reviewing some of my youngest son's investment accounts I find that Schwab has closed both their Government and Treasury money funds to investors not currently invested in them.

What a great testimony to the client orientation of that particular firm.

There is a real credit crunch that is occurring across the board, but for those who really want to accept the below normal rates of governments as a trade off for risk, that option should be available.

I have no idea how much, if any, of the suspect securities are held in any of the other Schwab money funds, but the only advantage I can see for their action is to make sure that those non governmental funds have some improved inflow of cash to meet redemption requests.

Any one with a better idea of why, and is your broker doing the same?

Richard Funkhouser