Re: Volume Question

Another view on your question regarding volume, but it requires a bit of background.

First we need to acknowledge that we are basically trading a derivative of an actual item -- the index.

Secondly, while there will be periodic variances between the actual price changes in the index and its derivative they will over reasonable time frames respond similarly. While the demand/supply for the derivative will cause variances in the premium values included in the derivative, the actual change in the index will be the dominant force in determining the price trend of the derivative.

In fact the volume of trading behind the index is a more important factor in determining the future price of both the index and its derivative, than is the volume of trading in the derivitive. The supply/demand balance for the derivative principally affects only the premium component of the derivative.

If you buy my argument, and I do use this idea myself, then plot the derivative prices on your chart, but pair it with the volume of trading in the index itself. And if you are of the opinion that changes in the premium included in the derivative gives you other clues to possible future price movement, those values changes can also be charted separately, if your program and data base permit.

Richard Funkhouser