My hardware / software setup....

Have been ill, in isolation and am being bored. So with some time on my hands I thought I better add my own little piece to the TradeStation 2000i and Global Server maintenance debate, perhaps this may be of help to some others.

Human psychology (fear - and greed is just another form of fear: the fear of missing a profit) has not changed in hundreds of thousands of years. I see no need to change my trading setup and the settings in my environment has basically been the same over the years I have started to use this setup. Timeframes (and colorscheme) that I look at have changed but that is all. I could not do without having a "real time, real tick" datafeed. After trying a number of datavendors I finished up with IQfeed and have been with them for many, many years. Recommend them highly!

Without naming (or going into further detail) the brokers that I use I can say that it is very revealing to see the discrepancies in price between the brokers and the datavendor, particularly when there are some large moves going on. I probably wasted a good 16 - 17 months of my life trying to work with data that was no good: garbage in = garbage out. (e.g. using "compressed" or "filtered" data)

I'll be running TradeStation 2000i until I no longer can run it. (which likely will be when I am unable to get some datafeed running) There has been some very hard work put into creating the right indicators (only three: only one is the important one, the second is a stop and the third is used for "quality insurance" and both 2 & 3 can be done without if the need arises). Don't fancy having to redo these indicators in some other trading setup.

TradeStation:
Full reinstall: found this only necessary when I have omitted installing something that I need. E.g. I normally install without the tracking station because I trade discretionary. If I suddenly want to use tracking station then I will need to re-install.

Global Server:
This is imho where the most problems arise. Immediately after an install I will zip the C:\Program Files\Omega Research\Server directory before doing any modifications. Changes: the default template, change daylight saving ( tools, edit exchange list, select exchange and then edit), time of nightly maintenance, cosmetic changes (fonts, number of messages in message log, columns in symbol portfolio), add the required symbols.

Make image backup of partition with Acronis True Image.
Add real time datafeed and test.
Once this is satisfactory shut down global server, delete the pds folder, restart & subsequent shutdown global server and make another backup of the ...\Omega Research\Server folder (using zip - it normally is less than 120kb for the 5 symbols that I have).
Afterwards I'll make a new image backup of the partition with Acronis.

I have "reindexed" the Global Server database (delete the *.idx entries in the ..\Omega Research\Server\pds folder and then restart GS). I am of the opinion that this is not working properly and am suspicious that not all indexes are being recreated.

I have done partial exports, then renamed the pds folder and imported the partial export into the new database. Then started the trick of (over a number of days - too much to do in one go) renaming the old and new pds folder (which is holding the actual data in the GS database) and doing exports / imports and finish up with a new database. Afterwards it is a matter of only bringing the new database up to date with the latest data.

I have reduced the number of symbols that I am following: so much is being arb'd these days that imho it makes no difference with symbols I am trading directionally. This has reduced my database to under one Gb (pds folder). Subsequently every roll over I will do a full export and then delete the whole ...\Server folder and recreate the server folder from the zip backup that I made after the datafeed test. I'll import the data and rename the symbols to the next contract period.

I make plenty of backups because diskspace and DVD's are not expensive.

Have had only once some issues with data - this was traced back to the data vendor's data being out of sequence. This is when I just exported the existing database , delete the pds folder and then did an import again. All has been fine afterwards.