Re: Easiest method of moving to a larger disk drive

Hello RB,

Wednesday, March 28, 2007, 10:19:36 AM, you wrote:

>  I would like to know more about this and how to do it.
> Also if one is getting a new computer and they take theri old hard drive and
> make it a folder on the new computer?  Then be able to get saved files,
> emails, data off the old hard drive with the new computer?

Yes and yes, although programs on the old drive probably won't run but data
will be fine.

Here is how to do it: I am assuming that you can install your old drive in
your new computer - all you have to do is plug it in and the operating
system will 'find' it and assign it a drive letter automatically. Start your
new computer and create a folder on your new drive to mount the old drive
in. (Or you could just leave it right here and access your old drive as a
separate drive, that will work just fine.) If you want to mount it as a
folder it is quite easy:

Right-click on My Computer (the icon on the desktop) and select 'Manage' -
this will start the Windows 'Computer Management' application. Click on
'Disk Management' then in the right-hand pane right-click on the drive that
you want to mount as a folder. Select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths' and
click on 'Add', select an empty folder to mount the old drive in and click
'OK' and that is all there is to it. You might want to remove the drive
letter from the old drive at the same time - it will do no harm either way.

>  Another question along the same lines of this.  Is there a way to save any
> old email and atachments to a CD to be viewed when one wants to in the
> future?

Depending on your e-mail package you should be able to export your mail to
wherever you want, like a CD. What mail package are you using?

>  I am thinking of getting a new computer but have many emails that I want to
> save and also have other stuff on the hard drive that I may need later.

For e-mail: look at the 'export' or 'backup' function in your e-mail package
- back up your messages and settings to somewhere (old drive, CD, etc) then
restore them onto the new machine.

>  Any good and easy ideas for the non-computer-technical person?

The above should be enough to get you going - it is really not difficult
these days, Windows XP has simplified much of the management issues that
were so awkward back in the Win95/98/NT4 days. Can't speak about Vista
however, that is best left well alone for a few years IMO.

Hope this helps.

--
Kind regards,
 Roscoe                          mail to: Roscoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx