Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:40:36 -0400
From: Ron Augustine <RonAug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OT: Switching From TS4 to 2000i

Interfacing TS-4 with the IB feed would be a great idea, but I've not seen any interface for that -- If you find one, please post it -- It would be a very worthwhile combo --

I've done quite a bit with TS-4 using the Quote.com feed a while back via Dynastore, but it was problematic and Dynastore has since gone down the tubes,--but I think at least one trader here that I know of is still using that combo and likes it --

There are a few problems you'll encounter in running TS-4 under Win-XP --

TS-4 is an old 16 bit App and won't run directly under XP -- XP automatically invokes a legacy emulator called NTVDM, under which it will run TS-4 --

NTVDM will saturate your CPU and hog as many machine cycles as it can get its hands on, so you'll need a work-around --

Either a dual-CPU PC or a PC with a hyper-threaded Intel CPU will work --

You'll need to assign the CPU affinity for NTVDM to one CPU ( or the hyper-threaded half of a single CPU ) to leave the other CPU free for normal tasks --

You'll also need to get around the Dongle dilemma -- Best solution is safe-soft, the renegade Dongle work-around that has been floating around for a few years --

Once you're up and running, you'll be up against the old problem of TS-4 still saturating the CPU and you'll need to go to the TS-Server "Tools > Holiday Setup" and leave the Holiday Setup window open while TS-4 is running to bring your CPU saturation back to normal --

A lot of mickey-mousing around, but those are the facts --

As always, others in this forum will disagree, but that's my experience based on many years of working with TS-4 --

Another combo that may be worth looking at is Sierra Charts and IB -- nowhere near as elegant as TS, but very workable --

Good Luck!

Samuel K. Tennis                              Vista-Research
129 Staff Drive, NE                   voice: 1(850) 243-5105
Ft. Walton Beach, FL  32548             fax: 1(510) 743-8274
<SKTennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <http://www.vista-research.com>

        ***** EasyLanguage Spoken Here *****