Re: Implied Volatility for Futures Contracts

Howard,

I am selling only options on futures at MAN Financial. My next goal is to develop options
selling for E-Mini Stock Index Futures (e.g. Russell 2000)  at TradeStation Securities.
For this reason, TS 8.1 has to correctly compute the implied volatility as explained in my
prior posting. The implied volatility topic is the focus of my postings, all my other
comments are secondary.

Under normal market conditions (Gaussian/Normal distribution of returns), it is relatively
easy to develop a selling strategy with very reasonable gains. However, this is not
enough, and you should not start selling options unless you study in details so called
"extreme" markets conditions.

These conditions happen when market returns are beyond of 3 standard deviations, at the
"fat tail" region of distribution curve (markets behave closely to the inverse power
laws). I recommend that you create an "inventory" of these events, study them, and then
develop a simple and effective hedging strategy for all cases when market prices get to
close to your striking price. Hedging will costs you money, and will decrease the gain for
the particular month. In very rare cases, you will experience a very small drawdown
(1-2%), that can be recovered the following month. So far, no losing month for me in spite
of several "fat tail" events.

If given futures market doesn't support well enough your hedging strategy (i.e. it is
illiquid under extremes) then don't dare to trade it. Otherwise you will end up as famous
Victor N.

DC