Re: Implied Volatility for Futures Contracts

Some clarifying notes about Historical and Implied volatility:

1. Historical volatility is the annualized standard deviation of daily returns. Market
return distributions are not Gaussian (they have "fat" tails) and this fact is correctly
reflected in historical volatility.  Many option traders place a little importance on the
value of the historical volatility and I definitively will not use it as a proxy for
implied volatility.

2. Implied volatility in TS 8.1 (IVolatility built-in function) returns the daily average
weighted Implied Volatility of the options for an underlying stock, index, or future. In
general, implied volatility is the cost of completing hedging by the option traders. It is
one component of the option price that is reflects the consensus of the market place about
the volatility of price in the "future" (not in the past). This is a reason why historical
and implied volatility might differ.

3. Implied volatility is pretty much constant across expiration. However, this volatility
is not uniform across strike prices. For example, the volatility is higher in
out-of-the-money options than it is in at-the-money options. In Easy Language code, the
adjustment is done with help of "volatility skewing" distribution curve. There are many
structural reasons for the skew, see the most recent issue of SFO Magazine. For example, a
"crash premium" appeared in October 1987, narrowed after September 2001, and the crash
premium had left the market recently.

4. Why is implied volatility so important for me? Having implied volatility available from
TS 8.1, I can accurately compute synthetic options prices, and greatly simplify the
backtesting of my option strategies: selling the deep-out-of-the-money options for about
30% annualized gains and with zero drawdowns.

DC