RE: Question about Windows XP2 and Tradestation 8.1 Build 3159

Jimmy/et. all:

Thanks for the response!

I can't track down the processes that are responsible for the excessive
kernel usage since task manager doesn't make it easier to break out.
"kernel" usage seems to be things like device drivers that I can't see in
task manager.

Without tradestation loaded, kernel usuage is minimal no matter what else I
do.  But, if I shut everything else down and load up tradestation, kernel
usage spikes for anything done in TS.  This only occurs in SP2.  As a
comparison, in Sp1 on another machine, TS is doing more stuff but on a lower
speed (2.8 Ghz P4) processor.  The kernel usage is also low relative to
overall processor usage regardless of what tradestation is doing. The
machine I have SP2 on (and the TS problem) is a 3.2 Ghz P4 processor with
more memory (2 Gigs).

Memory is not an issue - lots still available.  Bandwidth isn't an issue
either - using about 10% of T1 capacity at peak.

I like your idea of installing plain old XP without SP2 and seeing what
gives.  I suspect that will fix the problem...

Have a good day and thanks everyone for the suggestions.  If something works
I will post to the list.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back.  - Vince
Lombardi.