Re[4]: off topic: AV-Firewall programs

Well that all sound great but I'm not the one running naked on the
net.  You don't know how many virus programs I run or spyware either.
You also don't know that I don't use my trading computer to surf.  You
also don't know I've been on the net a long time with NO problems.

You are clearly so smart that you don't know some kid might write you
completely off the net as you place an order with no protection at
all.  The execution you get may not close your position but your
account for you with a huge debit balance.  Don't run any AV software
what do I care.  You are the one that will take hours putting your
maching back together when some Trojan runs up your bare naked butt.
You clearly know it all.  I know I don't.

Best of luck to you,

Jimmy
Safe not sorry.

The fact of the matter is that not ONE single AV program does the job perfectly. How do you know that some kid won't write a new virus that bypasses all your programs? Then what? I've used them all and what one catches is not the same as the other. There is always something not compatible with the AV program and the computer. Again, use your commonsense. If you surf unkown sites, are not familiar with the appropriate browser settings for such activity and dl crap with your trading comp. then you're a fool to begin with. Things don't just creep into your comp by themselves. It is always the Person Between the Keyboard and Chair that is to blame.
Pablo
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:05:21 -0700, Jimmy Snowden <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You may have an ugly surprise someday and it may come from surfing or
> it may come by email.  Then again it may come yet another way.  I wish
> you the best of luck saving that 10 or 20 meg of memory by not running
> any AV software.  My friends used to call me when their whole hard
> drive was erased.  I was not sympathetic to them having told them to
> use AV software many times.  Fortunately now days we have ISPs that
> clean our email, most of the time, and clean sites they host, but
> there are some smart guys out there that think harming you is fun.
> You might want to rethink that common sense surfing and the computer
> memory and CPU usage saved verses down time and loss of profits in the
> market.  Then again you may know a lot more than I do.
>

> Jimmy
>

> In my opinion it is  a waste of time and CPU power to run an AV program all the time. They are mostly for kids and elderly who don't know what they are doing when they surf the web. The best AV program is yourself. I run trendmicro once in a while and I scan everything I dl but this is a free program from their website.
> I use CCleaner and run it everyday. I also use a popular firewall. Common sense
> in the end beats evreything out there.
> Pablo
>

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:22:18 -0700, JHP <jan4123@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I used AVG, but after PC World's article ("Free program has subpar
>> heuristics and one of the clunkier
>> interface among the products we tested") I considered highest rated in the
>> same article BitDefender Standard,
>> but decided for 2nd highest rated McAfee VirusScan 2006.
>> I also use McAfee SpamKiller which does a very good job, although is a
>> little to invasive.
>>
>> Jan Philipp

>>> Mike