From: "Pablo Mejia" <pablo@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jimmy Snowden" <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Omega-List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: cable modem inquiry

> [...]
> service. During the last year I would experience dropouts lasting from 5
> to 10 mins. They changed the wiring leading to my house and the cables
> inside but nothing helped. They finally changed my modem and the problem
> was resolved. I'm using a motoral modem now. Thumbs up for the motorla
> modem.
>
> Never had issues with routers. Using a buffalo router now and I'm very
> happy with it. I'm really against using something very expensive unless
> it is warranted. Sometimes the only difference is the price tag and the
> number of options you get when you call tech support. just my 2 cents.
>

> Jimmy Snowden wrote:
>
> >My experience may be unusual but I have setup several systems for
> >people and several for myself.  I bought expensive routers and really
> >cheap ones.  Sometimes the high dollar ones died and other times the
> >cheap ones.  No rhyme or reason.  I just gave my first wife the most
> >expensive router I had.  One that would change over to dial up and all
> >that stuff. It is big and fat.  The router not the ex wife. It never
> >actually worked but the router part did.  I'm using the cheapest one
> >I ever bought and it is really old.  Really small too.  I use it as a
> >switch but it still works as a router ok. It's a COMPusa cheapie.  I
> >use DSL and my modem is a router also so that is why I use the stand
> >alone as a switch.  I used to have cable modem and routers.  I would
> >not go that route again.  DSL is much more stable at least in Texas.
> >
> >Now the first modems they came out with were a problem sometimes.
> >I've had to replace a couple of them.  They had no access via the
> >computer.  You just plugged them in and unplugged them to reboot them.
> >If you have one of those get rid of it.
> >
> >Jimmy
> >

> >Hi Mike,
> >I read the post a few weeks ago about the Cable / DSL modem that can
> >automatically switch when a signal is dropped .  I saved that thread and
> >link.
> >So, I agree with you about the router.  Can you point me to a source for
> >a quality router?  Don't think that I need all the bells and whistles
> >but I'd certainly be willing to pay for a better quality modem.  I don't
> >use a laptop so there isn't much reason to go wireless.
> >
> >Also, I have Tradestation and IB set up to run on 2 different computers.
> >That is why I am using a router.
> >
> >May go to Cable and DSL if trading improves again but I just use a dial
> >up as a back-up and have only had to trade with it once or twice over a
> >period of years.
> >
> >I seem to have enough notice with a lost connection to dial up or to
> >simply use the telephone.  However, I would like to avoid the back-up
> >plans as best I can.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Tom
> >

> >mike ball wrote:
> >

> >>Tom,
> >>
> >>I have and used to run that same Toshiba cable modem. It was for my
backup line in case DSL went down.

> >>If you are trading (actively) throughout the day. Number one, I wouldn't
rely on shared bandwidth(cable) for my trading. If that can be avoided.

> >>Furthermore, as for the cable modem wouldn't worry much there, your
weaker point will be your Router, these 59.99 dollar specials; linksys,
Netgear, etc..
> >>are more of a concern. Their fatality rate is high, not to mention their
low heat-tolerance ASIC chips they use, as a result performance problems
manifest themselves in
> >>a myriad of ways. If you are building your network for mission critical
work like trading, then isn't a top quality router worth the extra money?