Re: cable modem inquiry

Hi Jimmy,
I have a TS indicator that sends an e-mail to my cell phone and to my computer, its sends a message every bar, in my case, every half hour of trading. I do this just to be sure that there is a connection. Sometimes the e-mail arrives late due to my cell phone provider but most of the time I find it very helpful. I sometimes step away from the computer when trading. I won't be doing this when I start to swing a bigger line. Anyway,

The indicator will also send me an e-mail when TS atuo logs back on after a lost connection. I guess that information is also available on the TS Trade manager, under the "Messages" tab. Well I had another TS user run the indicator and he also uses COX for his ISP. I am getting messages after hours from my computer but not from his. So, there seems to be something going on at my end. I think he has a different cable modem but his router is the same as the one I am using. I guess my cable modem could simply be getting old. However, I thought it would be wise to ask if anyone had any opinions as to reliablility of a cable modem. It does sound as though that the router could just as easily be the cause.

My thinking is that I would upgrade the cable modem and then see what happens with these lost connections. From the e-mail messages that the other trader's computer is sending to me, it does look as though his COX ISP is quite stable.

Tom

Jimmy Snowden wrote:

My experience may be unusual but I have setup several systems for
people and several for myself. I bought expensive routers and really
cheap ones. Sometimes the high dollar ones died and other times the
cheap ones. No rhyme or reason. I just gave my first wife the most
expensive router I had. One that would change over to dial up and all
that stuff. It is big and fat. The router not the ex wife. It never
actually worked but the router part did. I'm using the cheapest one
I ever bought and it is really old. Really small too. I use it as a
switch but it still works as a router ok. It's a COMPusa cheapie. I
use DSL and my modem is a router also so that is why I use the stand
alone as a switch. I used to have cable modem and routers. I would
not go that route again. DSL is much more stable at least in Texas.

Now the first modems they came out with were a problem sometimes.
I've had to replace a couple of them. They had no access via the
computer. You just plugged them in and unplugged them to reboot them.
If you have one of those get rid of it.

Jimmy

Hi Mike,
I read the post a few weeks ago about the Cable / DSL modem that can automatically switch when a signal is dropped . I saved that thread and link. So, I agree with you about the router. Can you point me to a source for a quality router? Don't think that I need all the bells and whistles but I'd certainly be willing to pay for a better quality modem. I don't use a laptop so there isn't much reason to go wireless.

Also, I have Tradestation and IB set up to run on 2 different computers.
That is why I am using a router.
May go to Cable and DSL if trading improves again but I just use a dial up as a back-up and have only had to trade with it once or twice over a period of years.

I seem to have enough notice with a lost connection to dial up or to simply use the telephone. However, I would like to avoid the back-up plans as best I can.

Thanks,

Tom

mike ball wrote:

Tom,

I have and used to run that same Toshiba cable modem. It was for my backup line in case DSL went down.

If you are trading (actively) throughout the day. Number one, I wouldn't rely on shared bandwidth(cable) for my trading. If that can be avoided.

Furthermore, as for the cable modem wouldn't worry much there, your weaker point will be your Router, these 59.99 dollar specials; linksys, Netgear, etc..
are more of a concern. Their fatality rate is high, not to mention their low heat-tolerance ASIC chips they use, as a result performance problems manifest themselves in
a myriad of ways. If you are building your network for mission critical work like trading, then isn't a top quality router worth the extra money?

mike