Off-Topic -- Firewall Software

I have been using (or TRYing to use) Norton Internet Security 2005.  I had
formerly used NIS 2003 and, though it was a bit more of a headache to set
up, it seemed to work OK.  But NIS 2005 seems very fragile and
self-corrupting.  I have uninstalled it and have used the special tools
Symantec supplies to "completely" remove all traces of previous versions of
NIS, then reinstalled.  It worked fine for about two or three days but then
began to have problems (ccApp won't terminate at shutdown, Diskeeper won't
run, can't print, etc.)  Symantec is absolutely no help and the only
warranty they give is that the installation CD will be free of defects!

So, based upon a PC magazine review, I have ordered ZoneAlarm.  But now I'm
beginning to see reviews of THIS product that are very negative.

I'd like to hear of your experiences with these products, and any
recommendations of alternatives.  Cox Communications (my ISP) has recently
announced that they are providing firewall software from Authentium, Inc.
Anyone familiar with this company or their products?

Thanks.
Carroll S.