Re: Re[6]: HD Backup software

  • To: Code 2 <code2@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re[6]: HD Backup software
  • From: Hinton Clabaugh <hgciii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:49:28 -0500

Here's my method, for what it's worth:

Daily, or, often, a few times a day, backups of the whole drive with
System Guardian to a dedicated backup hard drive. Monthly, backup of
all important files and data to an external USB hard drive in an
enclosure, using Nero software. Once or twice a year, burn all
important files and data to CDs to be kept long term.

If there is a software oriented trashing of the system or a drive
failure, I'm up and running in less than five minutes, though I've
lost up to a few hours of data. In case of a power related wipeout of
both internal hard drives, I would reinstall Windows and programs and
transfer all the important stuff from the external hard drive.  In
case there is a problem with the external drive or something bad
happens during restore or I forgot to backup a file, I have the CDs.

I've thought about storing the CDs and the external drive (one of two
of them, for rotation) in a deposit box at the bank, in case of a
house fire. I'm not quite that paranoid yet, though I have experienced
two hard drive failures and a tape drive that ate my backup tape with
all my tax info on it during restore.