Re: OT:Disk Cleanup of WinXP

Hello List,

Seems this message arrived at the wrong address earlier. Sorry for
that.

RR> I go ahead and do a DEFRAGMENT.   Now this one, I see what is happening.  It
RR> went for an hour.
The build in defragmenter is just a freebie. It tends to restart when
there is disc activity on the drive it's working on.
It just defragments. That certainly doesn't mean all is at top speed
now. Third party defragmenters put files on HD places that get fastest
access. Frequently used files at the fastest HD places.
Leave gaps of free space between files so they can expand without
defragmenting. And can even work on a heavy loaded machine.
Although it's better to avoid that.

Two of the best defragmenters are:
www.diskeeper.com
www.oo-software.com

Defragmenting weekly or even daily will keep your drives at much
better speed. And it only takes a few minutes.
So even if you don't choose a third party defrag tool I can recommend
to schedule windows defrag on regular bases.
After trading hours I would recommend.

RR>     Am I suppose to go to Recycle Bin to manually clean this up?  Anyone
Yes.

RR> know how they choose WHAT to clean up?
Windows has a habit creating temporary files .tmp for example.
Or put the stuff you downloaded in it's own directory.
Or keep stuff after the defrag process.
None of this stuff is really useful. Not for windows because it has
outlived it's use. Not for the user because he/she has the files
elsewhere.

--
Best regards,
Tony

Question Authority and the Authorities will question You.