From: Ivo Karindi [mailto:ivo@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 21 October 2004 10:46 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx; Michael Guess
Subject: Re: Casper catastrophe

I guess the moral of the story is the fact that although several of
those disk image creating programs allow you to do it straight from
Windows, it may not be a good idea because there are many processes
running and who knows what may happen. Doing the image from DOS,
bootable CD or even a bootable floppy would be probably the best,
whatever promises the software vendors give about the ability to run
this stuff straight in Windows.

Ivo Karindi

MG> As you may recall, several weeks ago I had a disaster during a backup
that
MG> wiped out my backup and caused a registry problem that could only be
MG> resolved by reinstalling my Win2k OS. It's been plenty rough since then,
MG> but the other night I decided it was time to preserve my hard work, so I
MG> used Casper to back up.

MG> At the very end of the backup I got a warning from Zone Alarm Pro that
it
MG> had defended against something (not an intrusion). I tried clicking on
the
MG> OK button to make it go away but it wouldn't budge. Things appeared
frozen.
MG> Suddenly I got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death, just as I did before.
MG> After a major hissy fit, I calmed down and tried rebooting my main disk.
No
MG> luck.

---
---