tick chart - choosing tick interval

When I first started writing strategies (intraday), I experimented with tick charts. This was beginning of last year. Then I came up with something that looked really good. I started trading it, and had one month when I literally printed money (in % terms to my modest account). I was ecstatic. This was 09/2003. Then a funny thing happened. I not only didn't make money on that strategy, but lost 25% of September's winnings in October. Although the losses weren't big, I went into shock... my holy grail, not working!! It took me a while to realize why... the volume in russell emini has almost doubled - all of a sudden. I get double the number of bars for the same tick interval.

If you are thinking, well, of course - it wasn't very apparent to me at that point of time. But I learnt my lesson, and threw away all my tick strategies. My monkies run on minute charts now.

But, I still have a tick chart up (really like them), on which I base my intraday discretionary trading. Trouble is, I am always tinkering with the bar interval. I seem to like the tick interval best when I get about 100-130 bars in the whole RTH.

Which brings me to the question - would any of you gurus like to share some insights on how to get around this dillema? Like some kind of analysis on the weekend to decide what interval to use for the entire next week, maybe? OR maybe do this every nite? Doing this intraday seems pretty disruptive.. I go like "Oh man.. big volume today.. bump up the interval".

Also, I cut my teeth trading in Woodies chat room. I learnt a lot of good stuff, and currently spending time unlearning some of what I learnt. Over there, people seem to pick fib numbers for tick chart interval, like 233, 377 etc. Is that fairly regular practice? Should I bother? Or just pick nice round numbers like 300, 400 etc?

Thanks much!

Abhijit