Re[3]: Off Topic - Wireless Routers

Whoa!  Hold up there pardner.  I didn't say the guy was a friend.  I
was a bit shocked myself.  LOL.  Not shocked the line was open but
shocked a guy would be tapped in to it.

Jimmy

C2> Not only would that degrade the neighbor's access speed, but if he is
C2> permitting file sharing between his networked computers, Jimmy's
C2> friend would have unrestricted access to his neighbor's hard drives.

C2> This cannot be overstated -- make darn sure you change the router's ID
C2> (SSID/ESSID) and enable WEP encryption.  This isn't a bulletproof
C2> solution, but it will discourage 99% of the network hackers.  To be
C2> extra safe, don't permit file sharing.

C2> From: Jimmy <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
C2> To: Joe <jes333@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Omega-List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
C2> Date: Thursday, October 14, 2004, 9:23:18 AM
C2> Subject: Off Topic - Wireless Routers

C2> I think D-Link is wide open when you get it so you should be able to
C2> find the signal on the wireless cards and attach to it.  Depending on
C2> the cable modem you may wind up with two firewalls.  If the cable
C2> modem has a firewall and the router does also you may get no
C2> connection until you kill off one of the firewalls.

C2> DON'T FORGET TO PUT IN THAT SECURITY.  I was talking to a young man
C2> Saturday night and he was getting free DSL in Dallas because someone
C2> forgot to setup username and password or even make the signal unseen
C2> to the neighbors on a D-Link wireless router just like yours. LOL.

C2> Jimmy

--
Best regards,
 Jimmy                            mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx