Re:Hard Drive failure somewhat o

I have similar problems with of my PCs: at the startup it skipped or locked until I had the CD-ROM plugged into the IDE connector. Changing the cable did not help. I booted with S-ATA HD. I then disable the IDE controller and it worked. Then I discovered that the Nvidia IDE drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_archive.html) installed with my AMD-based mb were the responsible. Just removing only this specific 'IDE' driver from the Installed Applications under the Nvidia package fixed the issue. Now the PC uses those OS native IDE drivers and works and load perfectly.

A.