Re: Completely and utterly off topic but I need Help.

  • To: "David Jennings" <DavidJennings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Completely and utterly off topic but I need Help.
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:05:07 -0600

> My wife's birthday is coming up shortly. She let it slip this a.m.
> that she requires a photo printer. Price isn't the issue here but
> practical experience is! Should I buy say a Sony dye sublimation
> digital printer or should I buy an inkjet photo printer. The former
> are 2-3 times the price of the latter and I wonder if we would notice
> the difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will definitely notice the difference.  It's possible to get
near-photo-quality prints out of an inkjet, if you use special
inks and special papers.  Which rapidly get very expensive.  And
the print quality isn't as good as dye-sub.  Dye-sub prints have
finer detail.  I haven't compared recent products but the dynamic
range of inkjets has always been questionable.

Furthermore many/most inkjet inks will fade with time.  Again I'm
not up on the latest, so it might have improved, but dye-sub is
supposed to last as long as traditional silver-based photo
processing.

Try doing a google search on "dye sublimation inkjet" and you'll
find a few comparisons.

Go to a store where they know what they're talking about and ask
them.  They might be tempted to push the pricier unit but they
should be able to explain why.  Ask about print quality and
longevity.  Have them show you the output of a good inkjet and a
dye-sub and see how they compare.

Then buy the most expensive one so your wife is happy.  :-)

Gary