Resend: Correlation Question

Oops, I think this might not have got sent the first time:

A statistical question if I may:

When using Excel to perform a correlation test (using the CORREL
function) with the two series of trade results in columns consisting
of an unequal number of values, should I attempt to manually align the
series by date order or not?

The result varies substantially depending on whether or not I manually
align them. It makes sense to me to align the series by date, but is
that the correct method mathematically speaking?

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,
 Ross                     mail to: Ross.Bond@xxxxxxxxxx