Re: OT: WinXp Sp2 - Thumbs up so far

Hi Phil,

>There has been no difference in SP2 to me and I leave my charting
>workstation 'ON' for 5-1/2 days straight every week.

Which makes me wonder, why bother?  What exactly does SP2 improve,
aside from the security flaws (which don't affect me)?

>If your friend uses Amd64 (or maybe Amd period), WinXP SP2 will
>have quite a few bugs.

His problem had more to do with things not working right
until he disabled the Microsoft firewall which SP2 turns on by
default.  Everything seems fine for him now.

I know *I* use AMD processors.  Not AMD64 though.

>Amd might have decided to skip Operating Systems in the Design
>process. Red Hat might be a smoother alternative.

A CPU is a CPU.  An operating system is designed to work with a
particular CPU instruction set, not the other way round.  An OS
should also be designed to be independent of hardware latencies and
such, that are intrinsic to a CPU.

I guess I'll wait until the next incremental release of SP2.  From
what I've heard so far, SP2 doesn't actually improve performance in
any way, and in some cases may actually slow you down.

-Alex