Re: Reliability of Esignal datafeed for TS2000i under XP ?

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:16, John blucarr wrote:
> Anyone else using Esignal as a datafeed for TS2000i, especially using
> a Win XP operating system, I'd like to get your suggestions:

I have been running TS2Ki with eSignal for several years. Currently I am
capturing data for ~ 550 symbols although I stopped collecting for CME
and use TS8 for that at this point. Might switch that but nothing to do
with TS8 data.

> I switched over from DTN satellite about 6 months ago, was running WIN2000

Funny, I am considering starting up DTN satellite because I want to
capture the entire market. Think I will keep eSignal around however.

> I have a system with 512 meg of RAM, WIN2000, Athlon 1600 (AMD), 30 gig HD

My personal opinion is you can not have too much RAM and I would bump it
up. I also tend to run only Intel based systems. Call me superstitious.

> Using Esignal 7.5 ver. at request of Esignal techs --- less buggy they said.

Also using 7.5 because all is working and therefore no need to upgrade
at this time.

> I admit I did save the complete server folder from previous TS2000i

I think until you start with a completely clean install, you don't
really know...

> 1) cannot find ntfs.sys (I did a restore from Win XP CD),
> 2) Bad Pool Caller,
> 3) Video driver failed to initialize (tried replacing video card and with newer driver)
> 4) Cannot find Win32K.sys, restored from Win XP CD
> 5) The instruction at 0x73dd1351 referenced memory ar 0x00000004.  The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate.

You have something seriously wrong, based on the kind of error messages
you are getting. ntfs.sys has to do with the base file system - you do
not normally get error messages like this. Highly unlikely that
Globalserver is the cause, but as a heavy user of the drive/file system,
Globalserver is the first to expose a problem.

> Updated (flashed) my motherboard bios, no help.  Turned off video shadowing in the bios - - - no change.
> Have new RAM ordered, will replace next week and see if RAM is the prob.

I doubt that RAM or BIOS related issues are causing important system
files to "disappear" and certainly Globalserver is not.

> Thought that if this is a hardware problem, maybe I ought to load
> TS2000i and Esignal on another computer - - -  choose a rock solid
> DELL box I have.  Hmmmmmm, a bit more stable but Global Server still
> crashes twice a day or so with same message as other computer:
> The instruction at 0x73dd1351 referenced memory ar 0x00000004.  The
> memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate.

Do a google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%220x73dd1351%22

And you'll see a number of comments.

I'd revisit the memory issue. Did you happen to use the memory from
machine 1 in the DELL?

If not, seems unbelievable that two different machines would drop up
with that same error.

> Does anybody have experience with TS2000i running on a Windows XP
> system using Esignal or other datafeed ?  If so, how stable is your
> system ?

In closing, mine is Windows 2000 and running stably.

> Any suggestions on what I should try next to diagnose this sucker ?

Try replacing memory; try an Intel box (the Dell?) with more memory.

First be sure that your OS is fully patched with all the latest updates.
If still no joy, reformat and reinstall XP, install TS2ki and eSignal
7.5, and then be sure that XP is patched to the hilt via Windows Update.

Install nothing else.

You also did not comment on firewalls, routers etc in your config. I
would not run a software based firewall on a Windows PC if possible -
instead spend the 40-70$ on a Linksys router of some sort. You'll get
better protection and won't have to run questionable software on your
trading or other desktops.

Just a few thoughts... good luck.

--
Michael Watkins