Laptop w/ external monitor

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I recall seeing earlier posts on how some
of you used an external monitor with their laptop. I couldn't find that
info in Purebytes, so I'm asking here. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1100
and want to connect my old 17" NEC 5FGp monitor to it. After connecting the
cable, turning on the monitor, then turning on the laptop I never got the
Hardware Wizard. So, I tried doing it manually, but could find nothing on
external monitors. Ditto re info in the Manual or FAQ's. The laptop's
running under XP Pro.

This is such a common combination I would think, but I'm having no luck.
Can anyone guide me as to how to get my laptop to recognize this monitor?
The F2 setup doesn't show it either. Any additional tips on usage after I'm
hooked up would also be appreciated.

Thanx all,

Michael

---