re: a new data source

Colin,

[... a little delayed on the response]

For end-of-day stock data, TC2000 bundles an COM/Automation SDK for
accessing their product, complete with examples. It works like a charm.
There are also several code examples on the net for pulling end-of-day data
from yahoo, which also work pretty well (and it's free!).

There are Metastock and CSI data format C code available on the net,
letting you access any vendor that publishes end-of-day data in those
formats. I've used these for nearly 10 years and they've worked well. Be
aware that formats changed around Y2K.

For real-time data, I use Townsend Analytic's Realtick SDK, which is
probably the most comprehensive C API for data available. E-Signal offers a
COM/Automation API, but I have second-hand reports that the E-Signal API is
not designed to handle a lot of throughput, and I believe they say as much
in their literature. With the Realtick API I can literally get every tick
update for every market symbol on NASDAQ and NYSE over cable without
flooding the connection (THAT is friggin impressive!). I also stream off
Realtick real-time data for my own historical storage.

The CME publishes tick data post market on their FTP site. You can access
both GLOBEX and regular session data (ftp://cme.com/pub/gtime,
ftp://cme.com/pub/time). You'll need to pull apart the proprietary binary,
or search for the tool TickDB.exe.

Just a cautionary note: I'm sure you're aware of how much tick data varies
per data source. I find it's best to keep back testing and real execution
on the same data.

Cheers,

Kevin