RE: My Take on Diversion (edit: divergence)

Hi Vince-

First thank you for the time you took to provide me
with some suggestions and furthering some thought
on divergences and the like. I hear what you are
saying with respect to,"...sometimes each of us see
things in charts or too-small samples of charts
that do not cover all kinds of markets - that are
only what we are looking for - we each tend to not see
things that disagree..."

I've struggled with this in the past learning from
others, unsuccessfully I might add.

However, currently my own path to trading
enlightenment has me believing that in fact it is this
very "thing" that allows for a great trader to come
into being. That is to say, that what it is that s/he
is looking for, whether it be a setup and/or certain
set of market dynamics that cumulatively are the
precursor to you the trader putting on that trade is
in fact where the truth is for each of us.

Admittedly, with respect to the Reverse divergence
point that I made earlier. I do not have a codified
divergence engine in place at this time for that
particular trade setup. I have to be watching for it,
can't tell you specifically in all cases where it has
more validity than say another of arguably equal
importance that I just negated on some technicality.
However, I know it when I see it.

I believe therein lies the key to the difference
between a profitable trader and one who just breaks
even to looses.

Although I'm sure I haven't had the years of
experience or the knowledge thereof to test for
statistical significance on matters of divergences
such as this Tom Bierovic or for that matter
Larry Williams, I'll take your word that they have
done so.

However, my concern is more along these lines with
regards to whether divergence, reverse or otherwise
works or doesn't...

an author that I've brought up just recently to the
List, Thomas Stridsman, from his book that each day
I'm finding tid-bits of knowledge that just hit right
on target with me, says this; ".......In a correctly
built system, your're interested in exploiting
something that should, on average, work well in
several different markets and over several different
time periods, Not with any specific type of anomaly
that might or might not still exist in a particular
market."

As for now, what I'm trading works. It is recognizable
by the naked eye, and within the parameters of my
current brain capacity to trade.

However, my worst fear is that I'm trading an anomaly.

By my own admission I lack the meticulous back-testing
skills I believe necessary to check validity
of this setup to degree where present company might
consider this setup worthy.

What I know for the here and now is that it makes
money. My bottom line view on the market and those
that derive their living from it is simply this, milk
whatever it is that is working for you for all that it
is worth, once the milk stops flowing, hopefully
you can do something with the meat.

-mike ball